BenRiach 22 Year Old Moscatel Wood Finish

I won this in Master of Malt's Whisky Santa in 2016 (yes he actually does exist!) and finished it a few months ago. In the time from opening to then I learned that age isn't everything..

Age Statement - 22 years
Region - Speyside
Served - Neat,
ABV 46%
Colour - Chestnut
Nose - Burnt sugar, toffee, red fruits, chocolate orange
Palate - Thick, raisin, sultana,dark chocolate, marmalade
Finish - Christmas cake, harsh orange bitterness, cherry
Conclusion - I'm grateful for winning this and it's not a bad whisky by any manner of means but I was expecting something astounding, not just decent. Not worth the price tag (Around £130 at the time) in my opinion and I'd be a bit gutted if i had splashed out on this. I get the feeling the whisky wasn't what was expected after 22 years so it was flung in some Moscatel casks in an attempt to improve it. 
Score - 82/100
Slainte

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bowmore - Vaults Secrets Tour

Tomatin - Distillery Hand Fill - Oloroso Cask 5221

Daftmill 2006 Winter Batch Release